Egadi is formed by the islands of Favignana, Levanzo and Marettimo and the islets of Formica and Maraone, is located west of Trapani which is a few kilometers
Favignana, the largest, has an area of 32 square kilometers and a magnificent coastline for the most part low, sandy and also rugged.
Flying over the island you can see that it takes the shape of a beautiful butterfly whose body is made from the hill in its highest point reaches 310 m, and two large wings, one to the east, called the Plain, and one by west, called Bosco.
These wings are of a different geological nature, because one is formed of shelly tufa quarries testified that characterize the entire eastern side of the island in the winding tunnels , where the stonecutters, since 1600, with the hard manual labor have dug to extract blocks which were exported in Palermo and Tunis, and the other, the Wood, but it has now, it looks bleak from the hard rock, and sometimes granite.
After a long period of decline, the islands were bought by the Marquis Pallavicini of Genoa, who in 1874 gave way to the Florio including exclusive fishing rights.
From that moment on Favignana for a period of great splendor testified by the elegant Liberty style Palazzo Florio, built in 1876 by Palermo Damiani Almeyda and tuna, an example of industrial archeology, overlooking the port of Favignana.
Since 1937, Parodi of Genoa became the owner of the rights of Florio on Tonnara and Egadi.
Favignana is not just history, but also crystal clear sea that goes from deep blue to turquoise to emerald green with sandy coves, reefs and waters rich in sea grass.
The visit to the island is facilitated by the presence of numerous flat roads, mostly paved, easy to ride a bicycle, which allow to perform around the island.
Do not miss the tours:
- The fort of St. Catherine, now light weather, built by Roger II, King of the Normans, on an existing tower Saracen; (the castle was partially rebuilt in the Aragonese period, in the Bourbon period was used as a prison for political prisoners);
- The number of bits: Marsala, Fanfalo, Long, (a small fishing village), Slim, Iron, Rocks and St. Nicholas.
During these excursions, the visitor, in the eastern part of the Plain can see many gardens hypogea which are evidence of ancient quarries are no longer active, some of which can be visited. Of particular importance are a few beauty and coves, Cala Rossa (theater of the famous Battle of the Egadi in 241 BC took place in March during the Punic War), Blue Cove, a series of beautiful bays, beaches mostly in the southern part island (Cala Monks and Lido Burrone), Stornello Cala, Cala Rotonda, Cala Grande and Cala del Pozzo. The extreme northern tip of the island is marked by Cape Faraglione where there are some beautiful caves including the Lovers Cave and Cave of Sighs which can be visited on guided tours by local fishermen.